<$BlogRSDURL$>
My Blog Links
Site Links
Currently Reading
Blogroll
Archives
Tools
  • This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
  • Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com
  • 2RSS.com :: RSS directory
  • Listed on BlogShares
  • Blog Directory, Find A Blog, Submit A Blog, Search For The Best Blogs

Friday, September 10, 2004

DnD: Posts About Dungeon and Dragons 

For the most part, I haven't discussed much about my D&D playing, but I think I'm going to start doing more blogging about that. So, I guess the focus of my blog will be: .NET coding, books, Dungeons and Dragons, and other random stuff.

I've been playing D&D on and off for about 20 years now. Is it still only considered a hobby after that long, or something else? Luckily, I had a geeky major and am surrounded by geeks at work, so I've always been able to find people to play with. The core of the current group I'm with has been playing together for about 11 years - several different versions, game worlds, and DMs. For most of that time, I've been the DM - minus some time I took off to rejuvenate my joy of the game. But, I'm back in the DM's chair again.

When 3rd edition came out, we were all very excited to play it and started a new campaign. We've been playing our current campaign for close to 3 years, and the party is averaging about 15th level. Our group is big: 8 players and 1 DM, especially considering that D&D 3E is set up around groups of 4 players. We tend to play every two weeks on Wednesday evening. We play in a conference room at work after everyone has left for the day.

The conference room is a great venue for D&D. First, no wives or girlfriends get upset about having a bunch of loud guys over every two weeks. There's free drinks. Whiteboards line the walls. Lots of table space. Projector that we use with a laptop to run the encounters. Other rooms nearby to use for one-on-one conversations. Etc...

The world we play in is called Solace and the continent the party inhabits is known as the Kingdoms of Solace. I created this world many years ago and have fleshed it out as we've adventured. Each campaign provides history for the next ones. Old characters become heroes or myths. But, I'm not terribly imaginative, so most of the place names are ones I've read in fantasy books. As I talk more about these places, I'm sure some of them may sound familiar to you.

In future posts, I'll talk about what characters the group is playing, interesting rules thoughts or questions, new things that I come up with for our game, and recaps of interesting things that happen during our gaming sessions.

Comments: Post a Comment